Thursday 2 June 2016

Countdown to Eroica Britannia 2016

Last year the organisers of the UK's greatest festival of all things cycling and vintage gave me a slot to perform my poetry in their Arts tent. The experience was terrific and you can read about it in my posts from last year's event.

nib with ink 7
Pen nib with red ink
I am really delighted to say that I've been invited back for the 2016 Festival and will be performing at noon on Saturday 18th June.

I'm busy planning my set for the event and I'll be sure to include some of my poems about cycling and of course some of my newest poetry. It would be safe to assume that the set will be designed to entertain, to inform and most of all to give pause for thought.

I'll be reading work from my book "Thinking Too Much" and a range of my more recent work including some about my own family which, although very personal to me, are likely to resonate with any listener. There will be copies of my book available for sale and I'll be very happy to sign copies after the performance, I may also have a selection of my vintage cycling images for sale and will be happy to take orders on the day.

Come on Hat poem
Here's one of my recent poems under development- Come on Hat - it may well feature at Eroica Britannia 2016

The full set-list will evolve over the next couple of weeks but it is sure to include:

Too Soon - a poem that looks back to my 3 year old memory of my Grandad and the photo, still displayed in his house, that takes me back 52 years before he was taken too soon.

A minute and a half - one and a half minutes of words that hurt less but evoke the memory and feelings of racing up Monsall Head - a hill that some thousands of riders will tackle the day after my performance; in my case at a much more sedate pace than in the 1980s!

Entitlement - A brief look at the Lance Armstrong story and the American Dream (with a line nicked from John Mellencamp).

No comments:

Post a Comment